Music therapy is the intentional use of music and musical elements by a music therapist to promote, maintain, and restore mental, physical, and emotional health.
Music has nonverbal, creative, structural, and emotional qualities. Some examples of musical qualities include: rhythm, timbre, melody, harmony, tempo, and dynamics.
At Yaldei, we create music together to help develop:
- social interactions (e.g. turn-taking, respect for others’ creative work, relationships)
- motor skills (e.g. holding mallets to play the drums, keeping time with rhythm, moving to music)
- emotional well-being (e.g. self-esteem, creative expression, learning to express emotion through music, empowerment)
- communication (e.g. signing for non-verbal children, developing speech through singing)
- cognitive development (e.g. learning concepts like fast and slow, paying attention to musical qualities and instructions in order to participate, listening skills, memory for learned songs)
Music therapy, above all, is a place where the children can have fun and enjoy. Music is a highly motivating medium for most children, and so, through having fun, we can also learn and grow!